2011-2012 MUSC STUDENT GOVERNMENT ASSOCIATION OFFICER ELECTION PROCESS and GUIDELINES
Thank you for your interest in the MUSC Student Government Association. The election process and campaign guidelines have been established to make the 2010-2011 elections fair to all candidates and, hopefully, to give the student body equal opportunity to become acquainted with the candidates in order to vote.
|Officer Application Form||Position Descriptions||Sample Letters of Intent|
1) Applications are due Friday, February 25th at 5:00pm in the Office of Student Programs.
2) Elections will be held from 8:30am, Wednesday, March 30th through 5:00pm Thursday, March 31st.
3) Voting will be conducted on the Internet. A voting website will be activated at 8:30am, Wednesday, March 30th. The website will include candidates’ personal statements and photos. Voting will end at 5:00 pm, Thursday, March 31st and votes will then be tallied. The website will be secured to prevent any student from voting more than once.
4) Elections will be publicized via Student Broadcast Email, on campus bulletin boards and SGA TV, and on the SGA website. Also, please see Campaign Guidelines.
5) Winners will be decided by plurality vote.
6) Tyler Pierce, President of the 2010-2011 MUSC SGA, will notify all candidates of results the evening of March 31st. If you are out for the evening, please leave your answering machine on for results.
7) In the event of a tie, campus-wide, run-off elections shall be held until one candidate receives a plurality of votes. The Executive Council will determine dates of additional elections.
8) The 2011-2012 MUSC SGA Officers will be announced via Student Broadcast Email and on the SGA website and TV.
9) If you have reason to contest the election process or results, you must submit a detailed, written complaint by 5:00 pm, Monday, April 4th, to the Office of Student Programs. The Elections Committee will review your complaint that evening and appropriate action will be taken.
10) The term of 2011-2012 MUSC SGA officers will begin on Monday, May 3, 2010.
1) Candidates may not form alliances or “parties”.
2) “Stuffing” of on-campus mailboxes with flyers, campaign material, etc., is forbidden. Student Programs will publish candidates’ personal statements and photographs on the MUSC SGA website.
3) Posters and flyers are encouraged but should be no larger than standard poster board size (11in x 17in). Please post only one flyer or poster per bulletin board. A list of suggested publicity locations is included in this packet. Posters and flyers found in non-compliance will be removed.
4) Candidates are encouraged to introduce themselves to students in the six different colleges. Contact info for student organization leaders may be found on the MUSC Student Handbook website at www.musc.edu/studenthandbook.