MUSC Bulletin | Introduction
The campus, located in the heart of Charleston, occupies over 80 acres and 91 buildings. Over 2,700 students are enrolled at the University; more than 800 degrees are awarded each year. The teaching staff consists of approximately 1,200 full-time and 285 part-time faculty. Baccalaureate, master’s, and doctoral degrees are awarded in 35 fields of study.
In addition, the University coordinates the training of over 650 interns and residents in a variety of medical specialities throughout the state. Patient care is provided within the Medical University of South Carolina Medical Center. The University encourages faculty to pursue research by providing facilities, funds, and administrative support.
The MUSC Medical Center is the 700-bed referral and teaching facility which includes the Medical University Hospital, Ashley River Tower, the Albert Florens Storm Memorial Eye Institute, the Children’s Hospital, the Rutledge Tower, the Hollings Cancer Center, and the Institute of Psychiatry. As an institution of advanced services, it is fully equipped with the most recent in diagnostic and therapeutic aids.
The Medical University Hospital is a ten-story building constructed in 1954. The first three floors contain general administrative areas, X-ray units, and various diagnostic service areas. The surgery, trauma, cardiothoracic and neurosurgical intensive care units are located on the fourth floor. The fifth, sixth, and seventh floors are for medical and surgical patients. The Dialysis Unit is on the fifth floor, and the General Clinical Research Center is on the sixth floor. The obstetric and gynecological services occupy the seventh floor; the ninth floor accommodates the Heart Center; and the Palmetto Pavilion, featuring forty-two spacious private rooms, is located on the tenth floor. A six-story west wing addition, completed in 1973, houses the Department of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation.
Ashley River Tower houses MUSC's South Carolina heart center that includes heart and vascular disease center, heart transplant center, cancer care and digestive disease centers, and has been designed to offer not only the latest technologies and world renowned cardiovascular specialists, but also provide a convenient hospital with a hotel-like atmosphere. This impressive South Carolina heart center features a state-of-the-art building with 156 beds, including an intensive care unit, operating rooms, laboratories, interventional radiology and endoscopy suites. Within the facility, the heart and vascular center features the most advanced imaging and interventional radiology capabilities in the region, as well as an accredited round-the-clock Chest Pain Center to deliver quick and accurate assessments of heart problems in the earliest critical stages.
Charleston Memorial Hospital is 172-bed facility that is well-equipped as a diagnostic and treatment facility and maintains extensive new emergency facilities.
The Albert Florens Storm Memorial Eye Institute, a major center for the treatment of eye diseases, adjoins the eastern wing of the Medical University Hospital. It houses outpatient clinics, ophthalmology research facilities, patient rooms, and operating rooms.
The Children’s Hospital, an eight-story building, was completed in 1987 and contains Laboratory Medicine, twelve surgical suites, outpatient pediatric clinic space and two floors for pediatric hospital service.
The Hollings Cancer Center is a comprehensive multidisciplinary center providing residents of South Carolina and surrounding areas with the latest in cancer treatment and supportive services. Equally important are the cancer research activities, contributing to the worldwide effort to find a cure for cancer. Additionally, the cancer center provides opportunities for Medical University students and residents to receive training in a state-of-the-art facility. Construction to double the size of the facility is in progress.
The Institute of Psychiatry, located on President Street between Bee and Doughty Streets, includes four treatment units for youth and adults and two research wings where neurobiological studies pertinent to understanding psychiatric illness are conducted. The top two floors, completed in 1995, house a substance abuse facility, a variety of day treatment programs, offices for providing ambulatory services, and research space dedicated to psychiatry.
MEDUCARE is a 24-hour emergency helicopter transport service operated by the university’s Medical Center. It is designed for hospital-to-hospital transport of critically ill patients who cannot endure a lengthy ground trip and of the accident victim where immediate attention is important.
The Clinical Sciences Building, a nine-story structure adjoining the hospital’s west side, provides offices for the departments of Pediatrics, Medicine, Neurology, Neurosurgery, Obstetrics and Gynecology, Surgery, and Urology. Outpatient clinics, occupying the first two floors of the building, and the hospital’s other clinics receive nearly 150,000 patient visits annually. It also houses the offices of the Dean of Medicine.
The Gazes Cardiac Research Institute-Thurmond Biomedical Research Building opened in late 1996. This eight-floor facility houses state-of-the-art research laboratories for a number of disciplines, including cardiology, nephrology, infectious disease, rheumatology, psychology, hematology, endocrinology, medicinal chemistry, and toxicology. The offices and facilities of the Department of Comparative Medicine and the research laboratories, as well as the administrative research offices for the Ralph H. Johnson Veterans Administration Medical Center are also housed in this facility.
The Rutledge Towers is a twelve-story structure which was constructed in 1926. The building was completely renovated in 1997-98 and designed for both outpatient care and academic use. The lower ten floors contain ambulatory care units, and the top two floors house academic departments and classrooms. A 733-car parking garage is located adjacent to the building, and an above-ground walkway links the garage and tower to nearby Medical University hospital facilities.
The College of Health Profession complex is comprised of Buildings A and B at 151 Rutledge Avenue and the CHP Research Building on the corner of President and Bee Streets. Building A, formerly the High School of Charleston, was renovated and Building B, the new sister building, were occupied in 2005. Building A and B have state of the art technology in all areas including classroom and laboratory facilities.
The Quadrangle houses the College of Pharmacy, numerous clinical laboratories, and the Baruch Auditorium.
The Basic Sciences-College of Dental Medicine Building, a seven-story building completed in 1970, contains the offices of the Dean of Graduate Studies, Dean of Dental Medicine, and teaching facilities for all six colleges, laboratories and office space for the basic sciences departments, and the Division of Laboratory Animal Resources. Teaching facilities for the College of Dental Medicine occupy half of the building. Dental clinics, located on the first three floors, resemble modern dental operating rooms both in design and equipment. One 300-seat auditorium and four 150-seat lecture rooms are equipped with closed circuit television and other instructional aids, allowing for comprehensive teaching. A major addition and renovation to this building are currently underway.
The Medical University of South Carolina Library, located in the Administration-Library Building, provides services to students, faculty, and staff of all divisions of the University and Medical Center. Collections and information systems are developed to support the curriculum, research, and patient care goals of the institution. The library serves as a resource library in the National Network of Libraries of Medicine, and as a major health sciences resource library within South Carolina, and in local and regional consortia and networks.
The Joseph I. Waring Historical Library, located adjacent to the Basic Science Building, houses books, journals, manuscript items, and museum artifacts dealing with the history of the health sciences, primarily the history of medicine in South Carolina. The Waring Library Society, founded in 1979, promotes interest in the history of medicine and science.
St. Luke’s Chapel located at the corner of Ashley Avenue and Bee Street, was originally part of a Federal arsenal built between 1825 and 1832 by the United States government. It was later obtained in 1879 by the Reverend Anthony Toomer Porter for the education of boys orphaned or left destitute by the Civil War. In 1883 Dr. Porter converted the artillery shed into a chapel. The building served Porter Academy students from 1883 to 1965. The Medical College (now Medical University) of South Carolina took possession of the property at that time. The Chapel was rededicated on April 17, 1966, and renamed to honor the important biblical figure, St. Luke the Physician. This historic structure has nurtured countless students since that date, and stands today fully restored from the devastation of Hurricane Hugo to serve the Medical University of South Carolina family and friends.
The Warren A. Sawyer Reading Room, located adjacent to the Waring Library in Colcock Hall, is an extension of the Waring collections and contains biomedical journals published from the late 1700s to 1920. Also adjacent to the Waring Library is The Macaulay Museum of Dental History, containing a large and interesting collection of antique dental instruments, books, and memorabilia.
|Last Published with Edits:||October 24, 2013 2:28 PM|
|Last Comprehensive Review:||Fall 2013|