Information Management Council
& Functions || Membership
|| Working Groups || Minutes
The IMC serves as the IT policy, oversight, and action arm of the
Vice Presidents' Group (VPG). In this role, the IMC helps develop
and apply policy and strategy, and provides operational oversight
for all IT activities performed across the MUSC enterprise. The IMC
also performs – or directs the performance of tasks and actions
as directed by the VPG.
The IMC, working in close partnership with the VPG and other participants
in the MUSC IT Governance process, performs the following functions:
- Formulates and articulates a vision for the deployment and use
of information and IT across MUSC.
- Supports MUSC organizations in the use of IT to constantly improve
educational, research, and clinical process.
- Helps develop and maintain a “roadmap” for MUSC’s
future educational, research, and clinical environments, featuring
the role of information and IT in enabling desired future-state
- Champions enterprise-wide systems and the effective evolution
of MUSC’s information infrastructure.
- Develops and issues information management (IT) policies that
promote best practices.
- Establishes, maintains, assesses, and continuously improves mechanisms
for 1) managing information investments; 2) assessing performance
and results; and 3) sharing lessons learned throughout the organization.
- Champions information technologies that are critical to MUSC missions.
- Establishes standards and guidelines to maximize information and
information system integration.
- Communicates the MUSC vision, business objectives, and business
priorities to IT planners and service providers.
- Resolves significant IT issues, or if necessary presents to the
VPG concise, well-researched decision briefs, with appropriate recommendations.
- Advocates the creation, collection, and use of information as
an organizational asset.
- Ensures that appropriate and cost-effective information protection
measures are applied to information and IT assets.
- Recommends to the VPG major IT funding and cost allocation decisions
- Oversees, at a policy level, IT procurement, sourcing, and other
IT resource acquisition processes.
- Oversees the operation of the MUSC IT service delivery function,
including the effective use of service level agreements and the
ongoing assessment of IT service quality.
- Provides oversight for all IT projects, both on an individual
project basis and for the overall MUSC portfolio of IT projects.
- Ensures that post-implementation project reviews are conducted,
that expected project benefits are realized, and that the governance
process benefits from lessons learned.