MUSC Laptop Encryption (Windows Only)
The purpose of this software is to protect any information stored on a computer -- especially a laptop -- from unauthorized access in the event the computer is lost or stolen. The software keeps all the data on the computers's hard drive encrypted. This is completely transparent to the user, except that a login and password are required when the system boots. This software is an excellent way to comply with MUSC's policy that any user who stores sensitive data on an endpoint device must use MUSC-approved encryption technologies.
What to Do:
1. Call the Help Desk (792-9700) and provide your NetID so that we can open up a call to have someone come assist you. You can also provide your hostname at this time.
- How to retrieve the hostname of your computer:
- Right click on My Computer.
- Select Properties.
- Select the Computer Name tab to see your computer's full name.
2. A Field engineer will be deployed to your location to assist you.
3. Field Engineer: Call the Endpoint Security Team at 2-0680 or 2-5422. The SE MUST enter your credentials into the server before you download and install the EEPC.EXE file from here. (\\safebapp-v/install sets)
If that link does not work for you, or for Non-CLINLAN domain machines click here.
4. When the SE tells you to, download and run EEPC.EXE. When the installation finishes, restart your computer.
5. Right Click on the Endpoint Encryption icon in the system tray (It resembles a lock). Click "Show Status".
6. When the dialog box pops up, select "Synchronize".
7. Reboot Computer.
8. At the Endpoint Encryption screen, login with your NetID and an initial password of 12345. Endpoint Encryption will prompt you to change your password.
9. You will be prompted to answer three questions so that you will be able to recover\reset your EEPC password. You will have to answer all three, so be sure to record the answers in a safe place.
10. With the program now loaded, encryption of the HDD will need to be initiated. In order to do this the System Engineer will start the process. You will then need to click the Endpoint Encrytion icon (Resembles a lock) in the system tray. Then click "Show Status" and "Synchronize".